Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Following a fire, your Tulsa property can suffer from a wide variety of damages. Smoke, soot, and water damage are the most common side effects of a fire. If you do not have the proper training, experience, and protective gear, it is impossible. There is no doubt that a fire loss is very difficult to properly clean up and restore. That is what our SERVPRO of Northern Las Vegas team is here for! We are the local fire cleanup experts in Northern Las Vegas and we offer our services to homes and businesses around the clock.
There are a few steps you can take to be better prepared for the aftermath of a fire. Keep yourself and others safe by reading our Fire Damage Tips down below!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (702) 656-0203
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.